[CMake] CPack DEB Packaging: Automate dependency resolution

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:05:11 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Mike Arthur <mike at mikearthur.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 11:36:12 David Graf wrote:
>>  How exactly to you use dpkg-shlibdeps? Because I get the following bug:
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: cannot read debian/control: No such file or
>> directory
> You really should be using Debian utilities.

Not unless you are on a debian machine. Technically nothing should
prevent your from creating a deb package on redhat/slackware/...

> I talked to several Debian developers about CMake's DEB support and they said
> it was "worse than useless" because it doesn't follow the Debian packaging
> guide at all.

Nice FUD.
the real issue is that debian dev don't know cmake and cmake dev
people never bothered reading the debian packaging guide (including
myself).

Typical example: debian package will list src dep *by hand*, they will
even require that dep be 'human' readable and not machine readable
(prefer globing pattern than explicit list) ! From a cmake point of
view this is insane, as all src dep are listed and cmake knows them.
Installing a pbuilder env is a pain and looks like using a
sledgehammer to kill a fly.

> I'd advise that you therefore use the Debian development tools when creating
> packages rather than writing scripts yourself.

I've tried talking to the debian dev, I only got one *single*
intelligent answer on how to bridge cmake and dpkg, so far.
The remaining posts were mostly like yours: simple FUD.

It all boils down to the fact that dpkg people wants to drive the
build process and will try to convince you why this is better, while
cmake people want to drive the build process. The only solution to
this problem is have cpack generates debian src package IMHO and then
hand out to dpkg. I started working on this, but got disgusted by the
attitude and support of most DDs. I handed out my initial work to some
guy on this ML, if you want it, let me know.

You'll notice how I am trying to make some progress here, instead of
speading FUD on why "I talk to some random guys and they say dpkg is
bad" :-P

--
Mathieu