[CMake] CPack DEB Packaging: Automate dependency resolution

Hendrik Sattler post at hendrik-sattler.de
Tue Nov 4 10:18:44 EST 2008

Mathieu Malaterre schrieb:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Mike Arthur <mike at mikearthur.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 11:36:12 David Graf wrote:
>>>  How exactly to you use dpkg-shlibdeps? Because I get the following bug:
>>> dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: cannot read debian/control: No such file or
>>> directory
>> You really should be using Debian utilities.
>
> Not unless you are on a debian machine. Technically nothing should
> prevent your from creating a deb package on redhat/slackware/...

Except one thing: since you have to specify actual package names, the
result very much depends on the release that you want to run it on. The
result can be different between stable, testing and unstable or the
different Ubuntu releases or whatever you want to install it on.
So either you give the binary package dependencies manually, or you
build with a debian root.

For the source dependencies: how do you specify alternative source
packages like "a | b | c" automatically? CMake doesn't know about them,
it only could know what is currently installed. And giving those
manually kind of currently conflicts with your desire to put them in
automatically. "Currently" because that could be solved with a database
that gets checked when source package dependencies get resolved (would
even be better than the current state).

In fact: I agree with you. However, some things need to change before
that it possible.

HS