[CMake] CPack DEB Packaging: Automate dependency resolution

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 04:32:18 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/1 Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>:
>> 2008/11/1 David Graf <david.graf at 28msec.com>:
>>> Currently in my project, I provide all dependencies for DEB packaging in
>>> CPack by setting the variable CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_DEPENDS. Is there a
>>> possibility to automate this process (similar to the behavior of the CPack
>>> RPM packaging mechanism)?
>>
>> Just to note that _currently_ CPack RPM does NOT handle "automatic"
>> dependencies.
>> With a pending feature request one may _MANUALLY_ add dependency:
>> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7904
>>
>> then more dependencies are set-up _AUTOMATICALLY_ by "rpmbuild"
>
> In order to read more information regarding automatic dependency
> handling for RPM:
>
> http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-depend-auto-depend.html
>
> CPackRPM relies on rpmbuild for handling automatic dependencies.
>
> Manually added dependencies may be set using
> the (recently updated) CPackRPM patch:

I quickly browse thought the page you sent and indeed this is the way
to retrieve the shared lib deps. However, debian references packages
name (not lib name). So we are still missing the inverse lookup of
what package provide a particular shared libs. I can't remember which
file list all those (package -> libs reference). I guess one could do
a:

  $ dpkg -S libname.so

Anyone feeling like implementing the patch for deb ?

2cts
--
Mathieu