[CMake] Visual Studio and /STACK

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Fri Oct 25 15:11:44 EDT 2013

On Friday, October 25, 2013 02:52:45 PM David Cole wrote:
> > Hmmm... Well that was a not backward compatible way of doing it.
>
>  This behavior has existed for a long long time.
>
> Sorry for the extra effort you had to expend tracking down a mysterious
> problem because of this change. I remember having some discussions
> (probably just verbal, though, I can't find anything in email or bug
> tracker) about whether this "simple change" should have a policy, and
> we decided not to because we thought "out of stack space" errors would
> be relatively easy to identify and correct in projects that require
> large stack space.
>
> Out of curiosity, if you can share details, why did it take so long to
> identify the problem in your case? (Or was it immediately obvious, and
> you just took that long to trace it back to a CMake change....?)

If you were curious...

We also ran into this problem with an application.  The error dialog that
comes up on Windows specifically says stack overflow (at least with a debug
build).

So for us, it was easy to know that it was a stack overflow problem, but it
wasn't clear why one developer had it and the others didn't, until we traced
it back to the cmake version.

Clint