[CMake] unexpected INSTALL problems

Andreas Naumann Andreas-Naumann at gmx.net
Wed Jun 15 16:05:53 EDT 2011

Am 15.06.2011 15:12, schrieb Dominik Szczerba:
>> On my system, FindBoost detects the *.so without the version numbers. So, I
>> can update to a new (hopefully binary compatible) version without relinking.
>>
> That would be ideal, unfortunately for me (Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit cmake
> 2.8.4) my stuff gets linked to the full name, not the symbolic link.
> If there is a way to prevent it in cmake I am all ears.
>

>> And we provide packages depending on boost by setting the package dependency
>> using cpack.
>>
> We need to deliver a self contained folder where all but absolutely
> low level system libraries are present.
>
> Regards,
> Dominik

I use Debian SID 64bit which is similar to Ubuntu, but not the same :)
The "problem" (if it really is one) is that debian does ship the
libraries with another naming, so FindBoost will select the library
without version number.

I looked in the script FindBoost.cmake and saw the problem in the lines
717 - 723 (and 728 - 735). Here, the libraries with the version number
are listed before the ones without version number.
Does one always prefer the libraries with version number? Or should the
order changed?
I think the best way is to use both:
If the user wants exactly this version, the find-library command should
use ONLY libraries with names, and if not it should look for libraries
without the number first.

What do you think about this idea?

Regards,
Andreas