[CMake] CPack general question and example

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:50:34 EST 2010

2010/11/16 David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com>:
> Great, it's working.  The only thing that was required was:
>
> SET(CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER "David Doria")
>
> Here is the working example:
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/CPack/Examples/Linux/DEB
>
> The page you sent
> (http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#DEB_.28UNIX_only.29)
> has a lot of variables marked "mandatory", but they all seem to have
> reasonable defaults except the MAINTAINER. Could this terminology be
> modified?

Yes it should, you may correct the Wiki yourself but check the CPackDeb.cmake
file before doing modification.

Normally the most up-to-date documentation is within the module itself
(for the module which define the doc)

You may see it using:
cmake --help-module CPackDeb
cmake --help-module CPackRPM

> Also, (I think) there are some typos that I don't feel confident
> correcting myself:
>
> if CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_VERSION is not set CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION
> ->
> If CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_VERSION is not set, it will default to
> CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION
>
> if CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_NAME is not set, CPACK_PACKAGE_NAME (lower
> case) will be used
>
> I strongly suggest that we create
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/CPack/Examples/Linux/RPM
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/CPack/Examples/Linux/TAR
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/CPack/Examples/Windows/EXE (or
> whatever it is called)

Go ahead do it.
May be the name should be the same as the generator name,
you may get the list of generators (supported on your platform) by running:
cpack --help

You may be interested to know that there is a feature request for
enhancing CPack doc:

If you want to help I think you would be welcomed.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org