[CMake] Invoking "make" with CMake scripts?

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Wed Nov 26 18:41:17 EST 2008

On Nov 26, 2008, at 6:12 PM, Robert Dailey wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Javier Gonzalez
> <javierggt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robert Dailey wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My application currently has a dependency on the APR library, which
> > uses linux make scripts to build it. Since I'm using CMake for my
> own
> > project, how can I setup APR to build using CMake? The APR libraries
> > must be built before my application. I'm not sure how to handle this
> > situation. It would be nice to convert APR to use CMake via some
> tool
> > of some sort.
>
> Check out the EXECUTE_PROCESS command in the documentation. That
> should
> work.
>
> Is this the recommended way to handle this issue? What would you
> guys recommend? Should I provide precompiled binaries for all
> platforms in version control so I don't have to worry about making
> CMake build APR, or would you recommend complex CMake logic to
> handle calling EXECUTE_PROCESS() for APR on all platforms? Either
> way you look at it, it looks like a nightmare.

Well, it depends on how much time and energy you have to devote to
APR. If APR isn't too complicated and you are quick with CMake you can
always create a CMake Build system for APR. I ended up doing this for
my own project dependencies (HDF5, expat, tiff) but then again I had
the luxury of the time to do that.

  I think EXECUTE_PROCESS is about your only choice. Precompiled
binaries work if you can manage the various build configurations that
your users will need.

I just took a look at APR (http://apr.apache.org) and I don't think
creating a CMake based build system is probably in your time
horizon.. :-)

Mike Jackson                  mike.jackson at bluequartz.net