[CMake] ALL_BUILD and ZERO_CHECK

Robert Dailey rcdailey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:21:03 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> Bill Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Robert Dailey wrote:
>>

>>> I'm pretty sure I can create a visual studio solution with a single
>>> project that builds exactly what I'm having CMake build for me. When I
>>> manually create this visual studio solution I never create a ZERO_CHECK
>>> project or an ALL_BUILD project and everything works perfectly fine.
>>>
>>> Having said that, I disagree with you in that it is essential for the
>>> build to work. I would like to make a feature request that there be an
>>> option in the future to disable the generation of the ZERO_CHECK and
>>> ALL_BUILD projects.
>>>
>> There are bugs and issues that we workaround in VS studio from time to
>> time.  It may not affect your project, but in general for depends and custom
>> commands to work correctly ZERO_CHECK is required.   Are these targets
>> causing you trouble?
>>

> Oh yeah, one more thing.  CTest uses ALL_BUILD to figure out how to build a
> project.  So, CTest would potentially be broken if that were disabled.

The only trouble these projects are causing me is clutter. There is no
functional purpose for them as far as I know, which is another reason why I
do not like them.

I'm not familiar with CTest. All I can say on that topic is that I've used
Visual Studio for over 6 years and I've never had to use anything called
CTest to get projects working.