[CMake] Complaint about if..endif

cyril_wobow cyril at wobow.com
Mon Nov 24 06:49:07 EST 2008

Andreas Schneider a écrit :
> On Sunday 23 November 2008 17:43:53 cyril_wobow wrote:
>
>> Sure, I guess we are all here because CMake is a very powerful suite,
>> with tons of functionalities and useful abstractions. But I challenge
>> anyone to seriously tell me that he/she enjoys writing CMake script. As
>> soon as you don't have to only set a bunch of variables and call a few
>> built-in macros any more, you get crazy. Do a bit of string processing,
>> you get crazy. Write/call your own functions and macros, with argument
>> passing and returning, you get crazy.
>>

> I haven't had problems reading CMake files yet. Maybe it depends on the
> programmer who writes the CMake files. My first CMake project was Wengophone
> (now Qutecom).
>

>> To me, that is definitely THE weakest point of CMake, along with its
>> fairly arnarchic documentation.
>>

> Well I've started to learn CMake just with reading the manpage. All you need
> is in there. Well there are some people who are not used to read manpages. I
> think that is the problem.
>
> However there is #cmake @ freenode for those who need help.
>
> Cheers,
>

> 	-- andreas

I should really not be feeding trolls but here is a quick reply.

It surely depends on the programmer. And it does not matter. All I say
is that it is kind of a pity to have such a powerful tool and such a
poor scripting facility. I may be using CMake partly for what it is
*not* (i.e. some advanced-ish build scripting) and I swear to god, I
suffer doing that. I may be a mediocre build engineer (I prefer spending
my time developing), but I still dream of the perfect build system that
even I could use.

Thanks for your constructive spirit,

Cyril