[CMake] What does `cross-platform' mean?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Nov 10 10:46:08 EST 2008

Mathias Fröhlich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 10 November 2008 16:29, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> Can you describe exactly what you think autotools does here?   I guess
>> most autotools tests use a try-compile to find a library.  Is that what
>> you are referring to?
> Yep.
> If you want to link with a library you need to test if you can link with that
> library.
> If you test something different, you might then later be surprised, that
> linking does not work ...
> ... and yes this takes more time than just testing for existence. But it is
> way more correct ...

OK, so perhaps the FindFoo.cmake modules should always use a try-compile
to test the library that is found works with the current ABI.   This
will likely slow things down quite a bit...   This would require some
extra thought....   Perhaps the abi can be determined without a
try-compile, but I am not sure that would work on all platforms.

-Bill