[CMake] What does `cross-platform' mean?

Mathias Fröhlich M.Froehlich at science-computing.de
Mon Nov 10 10:40:18 EST 2008

Hi,

On Monday 10 November 2008 16:29, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Can you describe exactly what you think autotools does here?   I guess
> most autotools tests use a try-compile to find a library.  Is that what
> you are referring to?
Yep.
If you want to link with a library you need to test if you can link with that
library.
If you test something different, you might then later be surprised, that
linking does not work ...
... and yes this takes more time than just testing for existence. But it is
way more correct ...

Greetings and thanks

Mathias

--
Dr. Mathias Fröhlich, science + computing ag, Software Solutions
Hagellocher Weg 71-75, D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany