[CMake] making Nightly builds easier to setup

Martin Apel martin.apel at simpack.de
Mon Nov 10 05:33:29 EST 2008

Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2008/11/9 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:
> [...]
>

>> commands can be executed.
>>
>> IMO this can make setting up Nightly builds much easier.
>>

> Looks interesting, I didn't ever thought ctest scripting was done for that.
> I did shell scripts for that and was wondering how to do it on Windows :-)
>
> Now I know.
>

>> What do you think ?
>> One thing which is still missing is a way how to get variables predefined into
>> the cmake-configure run during ctest_configure().
>> Does this have to be done by writing an initial CMakeCache.txt ?
>>

> This seems possible using "CTEST_INITIAL_CACHE"
> as shown here:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake_Scripting_Of_CTest
>
> # this is the initial cache to use for the binary tree, be careful to escape
> # any quotes inside of this string if you use it
> SET (CTEST_INITIAL_CACHE "
> MAKECOMMAND:STRING=nmake -i
> CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM:FILEPATH=nmake
> CMAKE_GENERATOR:INTERNAL=NMake Makefiles
> BUILDNAME:STRING=Win32-nmake71
> SITE:STRING=VOGON.kitware
> CVSCOMMAND:FILEPATH=C:/cygwin/bin/cvs.exe
> ")

I recently played around with nightly builds as well. I used to have a
setup for experimental builds, but never could get the svn checkout to
run. With the approach described above, I was finally able
to run checkout from svn from within ctest. Unfortunately it seems that
some variables are not used anymore with this approach of generating builds.
I found that CTEST_INITIAL_CACHE as well as CTEST_ENVIRONMENT seem to be
ignored, when using CTEST_BUILD etc. For the environment variables I
could get it to work by setting
the environment variables explicitly, e.g. 'SET (ENV{CC} "gcc-4.2")'.
That means that the approach proposed above does not work, at least not
for me.

After all I'm somewhat confused about this new approach ignoring some of
the variables. Maybe someone with a deeper knowledge of ctest could
explain, what's going on here.

Regards,

Martin