[CMake] MSYS paths (in build output)

Brandon Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:55:06 EDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Peter Visser <pervulgo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using eclipse with mingw/msys.  Eclipse scans the build output for
> auto discovery of include paths and defines, which is very useful for auto
> completion. I upgraded from CMake 2.4.3 to CMake 2.4.6 and this breaks the
> auto discovery from eclipse. The reason for this is that CMake 2.4.3 and
> CMake 2.4.6 resolve paths in a different way for MSYS.
>
> CMake 2.4.3:
> c:/proj/dir1
>
> CMake 2.4.6:
> /c/proj/dir1
>
> The approach in CMake 2.4.6 makes more sense in context of MSYS, however
> it breaks the auto discovery for eclipse. Is there a way to change this
> behaviour? Or is it possible to dump all include paths to a file and do a
> STRING(REPLACE ...) or something a like ?
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.

Since the 2.4.6 design is correct with respect to MSYS, I think you should
talk to the Eclipse people about changing their auto-discovery, or give them
a patch to change it.  I can't see chasing around 2 support cases and
toggling between them, that's a recipe for very brittle software.

Do you have to use MSYS?  Will Eclipse work with straight MinGW?  Then I
presume you'll get the C:/ paths it's oriented towards.

What happens with Cygwin?  Their convention is /cygdrive/c/, so I presume
the Eclipse people have faced and conquered this sort of path issue before.
Last I looked, MinGW support wasn't as good as Cygwin support.  Once upon a
time, I couldn't have Cygwin and MinGW on the same system because the
auto-discovery messed that up.  So, they need prodding on MinGW issues, and
it would be great if you'd prod them.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every