[CMake] Xcode application bundle major issues

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed May 9 12:36:49 EDT 2007

Joshua Jensen wrote:

>> ersion of CMake are you using?   Also, I don't think CMake has
>> anything to do with the clean target, it is managed by Xcode itself.
> I always forget the important stuff.  I'm using latest CVS and the
> latest version of Xcode.

It does seems that this is currently broken in CVS, I am looking into
the issue.  I have to figure out some way of testing for this...  It has
been broken many times in the past as well....
> As a follow up question... why is that step even necessary?  The
> static library is a dependency of the executable target.  I know I've
> seen Xcode figure this stuff out on non-CMake builds.  Why not here?
Xcode is sort of broken here.  If you have static libraries, and link
them into a target the "normal" Xcode way, then Xcode will figure this
stuff out.  However, if you need to specify a static library more than
once, (to say get around circular depend issues), then you have to use
-l flags in Xcode.  Xcode provides no way to add extra depends to a
target, it allows the -l flags, but there is no way to rebuild if the
library you link against gets changed.   So, we create a Makefile that
does the check for us, and removes the targets that use the libraries
when the libraries change.

-Bill