[CMake] Xcode application bundle major issues

Joshua Jensen jjensen at workspacewhiz.com
Wed May 9 12:31:43 EDT 2007

Bill Hoffman wrote:
> Joshua Jensen wrote:
>> Upon using CMake with Xcode and instructing CMake to generate
>> application bundles, I've run into the following issues:
>>
>> * When I make a change to a static library, the executable doesn't
>> relink.  I have to rm it from the application bundle myself.  Upon
>> digging through the (very verbose) build logs, I came across this
>> little snippet during the XCODE_DEPEND_HELPER phase:
>>
>> /bin/rm -f /Users/joshua/MiniApp/build/image/Debug/MiniApp
>>
>> This is wrong.  It should be:
>>
>> /bin/rm -f
>> /Users/joshua/MiniApp/build/image/Debug/MiniApp.app/Contents/MacOS/MiniApp
>>

>> I'm not immediately sure how to fix this, but it is a critical
>> nuisance.  Code changes to libraries do not make it into the executable.
>>
>> * The second issue has to do with running a Clean (an attempt to
>> figure out what was going on).  Cleaning an application bundle
>> project whacks the entire MiniApp.app/ folder structure.  Ack!  Any
>> resources I had manually copied in there are destroyed.  CMake should
>> not kill anything it does not write into that folder structure.
>>    Anyway, I'd love solutions to both of these, but the executable
>> not relinking is a huge deal.  I'll look into a solution in the
>> meantime.  If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.
>>
> What version of CMake are you using?   Also, I don't think CMake has
> anything to do with the clean target, it is managed by Xcode itself.
I always forget the important stuff.  I'm using latest CVS and the
latest version of Xcode.

As a follow up question... why is that step even necessary?  The static
library is a dependency of the executable target.  I know I've seen
Xcode figure this stuff out on non-CMake builds.  Why not here?

Thanks!

Josh