[CMake] Setting up Visual Studio project structure

Michael Bieber onsager at gmx.net
Mon Mar 26 12:17:32 EST 2007

HS> Did you try adding a PROJECT call to every lib's CMakeLists.txt file?
HS> Then run make -G ... on the top-level CmakeLists.txt file.

No, I'm fiddling with a single lib for the moment.

HS> It's in the FAQ why this is not a good idea (well, you will miss some good
HS> features) and you are forced to deleted/move file that are currently not in
HS> use. Qmake never proposed this, either.

(provided?) It does, in a way even cmake should be able to deal with.
qmake gathers all files in project mode (but has problems with
dependencies). After that you can remove single files from the generated
list as a sub-clause. It should be possible with cmake too.
I think, nowadays you should expect this kind of dynamic behavior from
a build system. Professional projects have the size and dynamical
changes (adding/deleting/excluding files) requiring some half-automatic
support from the build system (true even for SCM's BTW).

Micha