[CMake] premake build system

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar
Mon Dec 17 11:44:56 EST 2007

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 5:46 AM, Gonzalo Garramuño <ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar> wrote:
>> premake3/4 is tiny and its syntax is *really* nice.
>>
> ... Show me a tool that does something CMake
*can't* do, or does badly. ...

Well, in the quote that you did not keep, I posted that premake *is* a
good example of a couple of things cmake cannot do (command-line flags
and OO).  And syntax is certainly one of the things cmake does badly.
Bad support (lack of, really) for relative paths is another weakness in
cmake.

So premake is definitively a good example for what you want.

To be honest, if premake did dependencies right (or at least like waf
does), I would certainly consider it as a valid alternative to cmake.

When Alex was asking about "what for?" in another thread, I think my
quick eval of other systems proves to me your quest is not in vain.

I honestly don't think it will take 10 more years for a tool to match
the benefits of cmake with a better syntax.  As I have said before, I
think it is only 3 or so years away from happening.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar

AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E