[CMake] premake build system

Gonzalo Garramuño ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar
Mon Dec 17 05:46:36 EST 2007

Filipe Sousa wrote:
> For those who love lua and want a build system there is premake
> http://industriousone.com/premake
>
> And I know that there is another build system that uses lua but I can't
> find the link.

premake3/4 is tiny and its syntax is *really* nice.

What's similar to cmake:
	- It creates Makefiles or IDE projects.

What's better than cmake (imho):
	- Language syntax.
	- You can easily add command-line flags like autotools.
	- Install options match autotools.
	- Tiny (only a couple of secs to compile it from source).
	- Written in C (more easily ported than cmake).
	- Makefiles generated are simple, readable and faster.
	- C code is very readable and easy to follow.
	- Uses relative paths.

What's worse:
	- No dependency checking on .h files at all (yuck).
	- Out-of-source builds is a property of the
	  premake.lua script (yuck).
	- Verbose builds is a feature of premake, not the Makefile,
	  meaning you need to regenerate the makefile each time to
  	  get verbose output (yuck).
	- No find_path or find_include
	- No cross-platform modules for better support.
	- Small language and compiler support.
	- No coloring of builds.
	- No testing framework.
	- No packaging framework.
	  (what they call dopackage is really doinstall)
	- C code is a tad disorganized.
	- No listing of make targets (no make help).

I really like it much better than the scons derivatives, but the lack of
proper dependency checking is a killer.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar