[CMake] CMake cannot build a simple example on one of our computers

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Dec 5 03:49:03 EST 2007

Quoting Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:

> Marcus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> CMake will not configure on one of our development machines.  When
>> I run CMake on this machine, it initially it says:
>>

>> -- Check for working C compiler: cl
>>

>> Then it crunches for about 15 minutes, and eventually displays the message:
>>

>> -- Check for working C compiler: cl - broken
>> CMake Error: The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple
>> test program.
>>

>> If I look inside the binary output directory while CMake is
>> running, I can see that the CMakeFiles directory is being expanded
>> recursively like this:
>>
>> C:\temp\CMakeExample-bin\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\... Perhaps it is getting stuck in infinite
>> recursion?
>>

> As you have seen this has happened in a few cases, but we have never
> been able to reproduce it at Kitware.  If you are willing to do help
> try to figure this out, I will work with you.   It might help if you
> could build CMake from source, can you use the nmake generator on the
> broken system?

Interestingly and probably unrelated, some coworkers are suffering
from the same problem in Windows Vista Business with (at least)
Kaspersky Antivirus: it enters an infinite loop the moment it sees the
AppData directory (C:\Users\AppData\AppData\AppData....AppData). We
reported the bug to Kaspersky Labs but this makes me think it might
not be their fault.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org