[CMake] CMake cannot build a simple example on one of our computers

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Dec 4 22:28:22 EST 2007

Marcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> CMake will not configure on one of our development machines.  When I run
> CMake on this machine, it initially it says:
>

> -- Check for working C compiler: cl
>

> Then it crunches for about 15 minutes, and eventually displays the message:
>

> -- Check for working C compiler: cl - broken
> CMake Error: The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test
> program.
>

> If I look inside the binary output directory while CMake is running, I
> can see that the CMakeFiles directory is being expanded recursively like
> this:
>
> C:\temp\CMakeExample-bin\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\...
>

> Perhaps it is getting stuck in infinite recursion?

As you have seen this has happened in a few cases, but we have never
been able to reproduce it at Kitware.  If you are willing to do help try
to figure this out, I will work with you.   It might help if you could
build CMake from source, can you use the nmake generator on the broken
system?

-Bill

-Bill