[CMake] CMake cannot build a simple example on one of our computers

Marcus yhadin002 at sneakemail.com
Tue Dec 4 18:23:38 EST 2007

Hi,

CMake will not configure on one of our development machines.  When I run
CMake on this machine, it initially it says:

-- Check for working C compiler: cl

Then it crunches for about 15 minutes, and eventually displays the message:

-- Check for working C compiler: cl - broken
CMake Error: The C compiler "cl" is not able to compile a simple test
program.

If I look inside the binary output directory while CMake is running, I
can see that the CMakeFiles directory is being expanded recursively like
this:

C:\temp\CMakeExample-bin\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\...

Perhaps it is getting stuck in infinite recursion?

I have tried building the simple CMake example from the website
<http://www.cmake.org/HTML/cmakeExample.tar.gz>, but this also causes
the problem.

I have tried CMake 2.4 and several of the recent 2.5 development builds
without success.

On another computer, I can configure and build the same projects
perfectly.  Both computers are running the same versions of Windows XP
and Visual Studio 2005.

I have noticed other users with similar problems here:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg08545.html> and here:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@cmake.org/msg06779.html>.  Is there
any solution?

Thanks,