[cmake-developers] Question over language bindings / daemon

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Mon Jul 18 08:32:27 EDT 2016

Hi Rick,

On Mo, 2016-07-18 at 00:59 +0100, RW via cmake-developers wrote:
> Question 1
> Will the new daemon mode if it's included have all the commands associated
> with a CMakeFile?
> (In other-words could I write a python library that could just pipe
> commands into it, instead of generating a separate CMakeFile)

It's server mode now:-)

No, daemon mode will provide commands to query the build graph etc., but it will
not be usable to feed CMakeLists.txt-commands to cmake one by one.

> Question 2
> I had a look at the way the functions are written within the code
> while I could extract a list of them using something like CppSharp (for
> example to extract a list of everything that inherits from cmCommand)
> There doesn't seem to be any metadata that describes arguments that are
> passed into a given function. (only that each function takes a vector of
> strings).
> Do you know if there's any xml or associated metadata (perhaps used to
> generate the docs) for which arguments are associated with a given function?

This in turn is in scope for server mode (not at the start, but later): That
information is a by-product of the idea of server mode helping IDEs with code-
completion of CMakeLists.txt files.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der