[cmake-developers] Question over language bindings / daemon

Charles Huet charles.huet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 03:04:33 EDT 2016

Hi Rick,

this is something I played with a bit, and while it is completely possible
to make your own little python binding, it will not be merged into CMake,
which means you will have to maintain it on your side.
Also, you will need to write the whole interface yourself, as the current
CMake lib API is not meant to be used in such a way.

While I too am more familiar and at ease with python and its ecosystem, lua
is a better fit for CMake as it can be redistribued easily (just one C file
to add to the build).
This would allow for better control of the updates, avoiding potential
conflicts with the installed version on the system and so on.

My Proof of concept can be found easily, but it will remain in this
unfinished state for ever, since when I'll get time to work on this I will
pursue the Lua angle.

Best,
Charles