[cmake-developers] Question over language bindings / daemon

RW garlicbready at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 17 19:59:18 EDT 2016

Hi,
I've got a couple of questions surrounding the use of other languages with
cmake
I've read up on some of the past threads associated with this one, so I
know there's been a lot of discussion on this already.

Just to give a bit of history there's a couple of situations where I wanted
to use cmake for cross platform applications
The main one is for use with arm embedded C++ code using the mbed library
This is similar to gcc4mbed, but using cmake to handle the generation of
the build scripts
The other use was for .Net projects, although the use of .Net Core has
largely eliminated that one now as far as cross platform builds is concerned

To begin with I tried using the cmake language directly, but I found it
difficult to debug and more verbose when declaring functions etc
also I needed to use a toolchainfile which required running cmake multiple
times

I'm a big fan of python (vs lua) for the following reasons
1. I can single step debug it within VStudio
2. It has a large set of libs available
3. Within the ide I'm using it has auto completion

I decided one idea might be just a wrapper to generate CMakeFiles using a
python library
however while this partially works (code is incomplete) I got tired of
wrapping each and every function very quickly
https://github.com/grbd/GBD.Build.BlackJack

Question 1
Will the new daemon mode if it's included have all the commands associated
with a CMakeFile?
(In other-words could I write a python library that could just pipe
commands into it, instead of generating a separate CMakeFile)

Question 2
I had a look at the way the functions are written within the code
while I could extract a list of them using something like CppSharp (for
example to extract a list of everything that inherits from cmCommand)
There doesn't seem to be any metadata that describes arguments that are
passed into a given function. (only that each function takes a vector of
strings).
Do you know if there's any xml or associated metadata (perhaps used to
generate the docs) for which arguments are associated with a given function?

Many Thanks,
Rick