[cmake-developers] automatically download library

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 6 08:59:41 EDT 2015

On 10/06/2015 08:22 AM, Марсель Галимуллин wrote:
> automatically download missing library if instruction such as
> find_package (Boost COMPONENTS system thread REQUIRED) can not
> find the package.

In general this is outside the scope of a build system and falls
in the domain of package management.  I do not think this approach
is a good fit for CMake's find_package infrastructure as proposed.

FYI, CMake already has some features to help people build projects
without manually installing all dependencies ahead of time.  See
ExternalProject and superbuilds for example:

 http://www.kitware.com/media/html/BuildingExternalProjectsWithCMake2.8.html