[cmake-developers] automatically download library

Daniel Wirtz daniel.wirtz at simtech.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Oct 6 08:46:37 EDT 2015

Hey,

so i've been working on a quite large build system for OpenCMISS, which
in turn consumes about 30 external packages itself.
the main repo (and cmake logic) can be found here:
https://github.com/OpenCMISS/manage (branch v1.0).
feel free to have a look around and use some of the logic. essentially,
it performs checks using find_package and then downloads
the components from our github repos & builds them if not found.

however, such an integration with many many components, difficult
interoperability and (thus far) unclear origin of the packages that
should be automatically
installed (you'll need some sort of database / list for that) is quite a
thing for a masters thesis. not to speak of incompatibilities with other
system libraries that those
automatically downloaded packages might want to use.
as for ideas, there's the maven concept: https://maven.apache.org/. it's
not cmake, but it also deals with the "is package there, if not, i know
where to get & build it" issue.

good luck :-)

Dr. Daniel Wirtz
Dipl. Math. Dipl. Inf.