[cmake-developers] What is necessary for including fixes from current development branch to official release

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 09:40:56 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 8:34 AM, Nils Gladitz <nilsgladitz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/19/2014 03:19 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> I'd like to hear others opinions, but what I've done is once one of my
>> patches is accepted, as long as it applies cleanly to the current release
>> (and since all I mess with are modules that's usually the case) then I
>> just
>> email the Fedora package maintainer and he applies it within Fedora.
>>
>> I personally rather dislike that distributions introduce behavior changes
> since it might result in your project not only depending on a specific
> version of CMake but also a specific variant as introduced by the
> distribution you are working on.
>
> It also results in people submitting issues with vanilla CMake which might
> be specific to distribution patches (e.g. [1]).

I don't disagree in theory, but what do you do if you need the fix? One of
the fixes I submitted fixed a problem with cross compiling that I'm not
sure I could have easily worked around. I don't want to sit on my hands and
wait for 3.1.

I guess I could have copied the module into my project module folder and
applied it locally, but that seems like a worse workaround than patching at
the distro level.

Thanks,
Richard