[cmake-developers] [CPack] [CPackRPM] mantis ticket 13176 CPackRPM support for per-component summary and description

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 03:28:18 EDT 2014

> Sorry for spamming...
>
> I noticed that the previous patch would break user provided rpm spec files
> so I'm attaching a new patch that fixes that problem with a bit more
> variable juggling.

Hi Domen,

I did re-assign the bug entry to you

Then we discussing various patches I suggest you to attach the patch
directly to the tracker
that way it's easy to see the patch history and if ever some patch version
is obsolete you may simply remove it from the tracker.

> I also have a question. Would CPack also need something like
> CPACK_COMPONENT_<component>_PACKAGE_SUMMARY that could be used by
> CPACK_RPM_<component>_PACKAGE_SUMMARY as default value?

Not sure of that one.
We already have "CPACK_COMPONENT_GROUP_CMAKE_DESCRIPTION"
which may be a default value for "CPACK_RPM_<component>_PACKAGE_
SUMMARY" if packaging is done "by compoent group" (which is the default):

The behavior of the various CPack generator w.r.t. mono- or multi-
file/package generation vary,
see:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Component_Install_With_CPack#CPack_Generator_specific_behavior

e.g. for NSIS or PackageMaker I don't know what you can do with
"CPACK_COMPONENT_<component>_
PACKAGE_SUMMARY" because there is only one package.

Otherwise I only read the patch and it looks good.

However you should at least:
  1) run ctest -R CPack  --> this the "minimal" way to run CPack related
tests in the CMake tree
  2) enhance or provide a specific test for the new behavior.

 Eric

> Thanks,
> Domen

>> Message was sent to early by accident so I'm resending the rest.

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I extended the proposed patch for ticket 13176 with:
>>> - documentation section
>>> - CPACK_RPM_<component>_PACKAGE_DESCRIPTION fallback to
>>> CPACK_COMPONENT_<compName>_DESCRIPTION
>>> - handling of cases when one component sets its variable and the other
>>> doesn't
>>>

>> e.g.
>> #set(CPACK_RPM_test_PACKAGE_SUMMARY "test_summary")
>> set(CPACK_RPM_bin_PACKAGE_SUMMARY "bin_summary")
>>
>> Could somebody please review the patch attached to this mail?
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Domen
>>>

> --
>
> Powered by www.kitware.com