[cmake-developers] Review Request for ExternalProjects: Only update certain git submodules

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Thu Jan 9 14:31:34 EST 2014

This looks like a reasonable patch to me (just by eye, have not tried
it personally). *Although* it would be even better if there were an
additional case added in the ExternalProject test that handles passing
in (1) an empty git submodule list, and (2) a valid list. Although,
unless you add code to the setup of the test git repo for that test, it
won't have any submodules in it. And we don't want to introduce any
network dependencies to the test suite, so no referencing a real live
git repo on the internet.

I'd like to see a follow up patch to this one that adds *some* testing,
too, even if just of the empty list smoke test variety...

Does anybody listening here have a project with some git submodules,
and some time to give this a test drive? If so, please do, and let us
know the results. If they're positive, we could take the follow up to
this patch and get it into CMake 'next'.

Thanks,
David C.