[cmake-developers] Request review of new topic "gcc-binutil-wrappers"

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jan 6 10:44:37 EST 2014

On 01/04/2014 12:09 PM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> GCC (I think since about 4.7) provides wrappers for ar, nm and ranlib
> with a "gcc-" name prefix (e.g. gcc-ar-4.7).
>
> I created a topic to pick these up for CMAKE_AR, CMAKE_RANLIB and
> CMAKE_NM per default if used with GCC.
>
> These wrappers pass the --plugin option to the actual tools which is
> required for link time optimization (LTO).
>
> I haven't merged it to "next" yet since I am not sure if this might
> break anything in existing setups.

Please wait until after Clinton's unicode topics have settled so
that you can get more isolated feedback from the dashboard.

> Does anyone else have any insight or suggestions?

This hunk looks strange:

+    set(COMPILER "${CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER}${CMAKE_C_COMPILER}")
+    get_filename_component(COMPILER_DIR "${COMPILER}" DIRECTORY)

I don't think both compilers should be used at the same time :)