[cmake-developers] Request review of new topic "gcc-binutil-wrappers"

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 12:09:54 EST 2014

GCC (I think since about 4.7) provides wrappers for ar, nm and ranlib
with a "gcc-" name prefix (e.g. gcc-ar-4.7).

I created a topic to pick these up for CMAKE_AR, CMAKE_RANLIB and
CMAKE_NM per default if used with GCC.

These wrappers pass the --plugin option to the actual tools which is
required for link time optimization (LTO).

I haven't merged it to "next" yet since I am not sure if this might
break anything in existing setups.
Does anyone else have any insight or suggestions?

Nils