[cmake-developers] [review] add_jar (UseJava) uses cmake_parse_arguments

Matthew Woehlke matthew.woehlke at kitware.com
Mon Mar 25 13:46:08 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-25 13:14, Brad King wrote:
> On 03/25/2013 12:28 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'm on the fence if this should target 2.8.11. On the plus side, it
>> means the historic behavior of ignoring jar files listed as sources will
>> be preserved. On the down side, it is late in the cycle and this is a
>> less trivial change.
>>
>> If it does not go in, I will redo the change to preserve the behavior
>> from the previous commits (i.e. jars and targets are accepted in the
>> sources list).
>
> This is one reason I don't like rushing such changes in during the
> RC cycle.  Now we have to decide whether to rush an even bigger
> change in, revert the original, or have behavior that was preferred
> for exactly one release and have to support it forever.

Essentially, yes. Sorry. I do wish I'd thought of this earlier.

For what it's worth, I see advantages and disadvantages either way, and
can't say I significantly prefer any of them over the others.

Revert:
- Pros: no behavior change from 2.8.10
- Cons: is a revert; add_jar not improved this release cycle

As is:
- Pros: add_jar accepts jars as it was apparently intended to, as
'source' arguments
- Cons: maybe not optimal interface, must support this going forward

This branch:
- Pros: cleaner interface, stricter compatibility with 2.8.10
- Cons: non-trivial change, late in release cycle

--
Matthew