[cmake-developers] INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES property?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 03:52:52 EDT 2013

Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Anyway, we can let this one sleep for a bit and come back to it all later.

Returning to this topic:

* I think I confused you by working on both the tll signature and the new
property in the same branch in my clone. I split out the tll-new-signatures
topic from INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop topic.

* The INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop topic is important. Several other topics
depend on it, including introduction of the INTERFACE_LIBRARY.

* The tll-new-signatures topic is unimportant. Nothing depends on it. It has
caused more friction and churn in the discussion so far, and I am certain
there is still more to discuss/figure out before merging it. My interest is
in the INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop topic.

* You insist that tll-new-signatures be merged before
INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop.

* There is no need or actual value in doing that re-ordering. There is only
busy-work of renumbering the policies which is very demotivational.

To move beyond this situation:

Option A) Drop the insistence that tll-new-signatures is merged first.

I can then address your feedback on INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6767/focus=7122

and get it merged, then follow up with tll-new-signatures.

Pros:
* Can start now
* Can get the important branch in first
Cons:
* Things don't get merged in the order you want

Option B) Pull and rewrite

Pull my tll-new-signatures branch and renumber/reorder/rewrite at will and
push the result where I can get it. When tll-new-signatures is in, I can
address the feedback on INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop.

Pros:
* Things get merged in the order you want
* I don't do the re-numbering
* You get to write tll-new-signatures as you want it to be.
Cons:
* Delays INTERFACE_LINK_LIBRARIES-prop until tll-new-signatures is in.

Option C) Continue to do nothing.

Pros:
* Time can be helpful.
Cons: