[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014215]: The "Ninja" generator does not support Fortran

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Thu Jun 13 19:18:50 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                irwin
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14215
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   block
Date Submitted:             2013-06-13 19:18 EDT
A simple Fortran project with

project(test_fortran Fortran)

in the CMakeLists.txt file produces the following error message for the "Ninja"
generator

CMake Error: The "Ninja" generator does not support the language "Fortran" yet.
-- The Fortran compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working Fortran compiler using: Ninja
CMake Error: The "Ninja" generator does not support the language "Fortran" yet.
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
-- Check for working Fortran compiler using: Ninja  -- broken
CMake Error at
/home/software/cmake/install-2.8.10.2/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestFortranCompiler.cmake:54
(message):
  The Fortran compiler "/usr/bin/f95" is not able to compile a simple test
  program.

  It fails with the following output:

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:1 (project)

Steps to Reproduce:
Any CMake project that enables Fortran that I have tried on Linux generates this
error with the "Ninja" generator.  But I doubt very much this error is limited
just to the Linux platform.

Additional Information:
This error is largely a "Ninja" generator showstopper for me since many of the
software projects I build (such as PLplot) do enable the Fortran language.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change