[cmake-developers] CMAKE_SYSROOT vs CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 11:43:38 EDT 2013

Hi there,

I've collected the following links:

 http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#DOCUMENTATION/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/cross_development/Configuring/configuring.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000163i-CH1-SW2
 To choose an SDK, you use the -isysroot option with the compiler and the -
syslibroot option with the linker.
 http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/xcode/291661-static-linking-syslibroot-and-macosx-deployment-target.html
 http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13964742/sdkroot-path-for-latest-sdk
 http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2005/Dec/msg00524.html

 http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#DOCUMENTATION/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/cross_development/Using/using.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002000-SW6
 Conditionally Compiling for Different SDKs

and I noticed cmake has lines like this:

 Modules/Platform/Darwin-Clang.cmake:  set(CMAKE_${lang}_SYSROOT_FLAG "-
isysroot")

and I used CMAKE_SYSROOT_FLAG as the --sysroot= variable, and there are many
other references to CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT.

I'm not familiar enough with OSX to know if the pre-existing OSX related
sysroot features have any bearing on the new CMAKE_SYSROOT feature. Is it
something to be concerned about? Should the features be unified? Should the
new CMAKE_SYSROOT related variables be renamed to clarify difference?