[cmake-developers] Best practices questions

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 16 11:04:09 EDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 10:36 AM, Petr Kmoch wrote:
> 1) Looking at the dashboard, I apparently forgot to quote a path somewhere in the test and it failed on spaces. What is the preferred way for me to provide a fix for the tests? A new commit normally continuing history of the patch as I submitted it? Somehow incorporating changes which were done (by
> Brad in this case) when merging to next? Something else?

Once a developer with push access takes the patch then it
becomes his/her responsibility to follow up with dashboard
trouble.  We'll contact the author if we need further help.

I tested it locally on VS 6, 7.1, 8, 9, 10, and 11 all with
spaces in the path.  I need to investigate the failures on
the dashboard to identify the problem.

> 2) Is there a code style document I could read somewhere? I now understand line width is preferred at 79 columns max. and I believe I've figured out brace indenting; anything else I should follow?

It is basically:

 - Copy existing brace style
 - 79 column limit in C++ sources
 - Use "this->" to access members
 - Use CamelCase names for members
 - Local variables start in lower-case letters but there
   is no style convention otherwise

> 3) If I have an idea for a feature I'd like to add, how should I start? Bring it up for discussion here, raise an issue in Mantis, just code the patch and send it in, ...?

Discussion here, please.  If you have an initial patch to include
in your post to the list that is fine.