[cmake-developers] Directory for debug symbols

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Wed Aug 22 09:09:37 EDT 2012

On 22.08.2012 14:47, Brad King wrote:
> On 08/22/2012 08:41 AM, Peter Kümmel wrote:
>> I wanna add a way to put all .pdb files into one directory.
>> Therefore I've introduced the variable CMAKE_DEBUG_SYMBOL_DIRECTORY
>> which could be set to an existing directory.
>> I patched all the places where GetPDBName() is used.
>
> Have a look at these issues:
>
>   http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10830
>   http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=11899
>
> which discuss some complicating factors.  Also, see these comments:
>
>   http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10830#c24153
>   http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10830#c25068

Ah, seems you were already busy on this. Also the latest patch from
Thomas Bernard looks very promising.

> I'd prefer PDB-specific names to leave room for future generalized
> cross-platform debug symbol features.

I wouldn't introduce a variable which will become obsolete, because
of the backward compatibility matra such a variable could never be removed.
Why not simply document that SYMBOL_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY is currently only
supported for pdb files?

Peter