[cmake-developers] Directory for debug symbols

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Aug 22 09:13:19 EDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 09:09 AM, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> I wouldn't introduce a variable which will become obsolete, because
> of the backward compatibility matra such a variable could never be removed.
> Why not simply document that SYMBOL_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY is currently only
> supported for pdb files?

That's *because* of compatibility.  It is easy to continue to support
the PDB_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY name in the future and simply ignore it if
the future-named property is set.  If we make SYMBOL_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
work only for PDB files now then in the future if we make it work for
other toolchains then that will be a change in behavior for existing
projects that expected it to work only for PDB files.