[cmake-developers] Directory for debug symbols

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Aug 22 08:47:52 EDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 08:41 AM, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> I wanna add a way to put all .pdb files into one directory.
> Therefore I've introduced the variable CMAKE_DEBUG_SYMBOL_DIRECTORY
> which could be set to an existing directory.
> I patched all the places where GetPDBName() is used.

Have a look at these issues:

 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10830
 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=11899

which discuss some complicating factors.  Also, see these comments:

 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10830#c24153
 http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10830#c25068

I'd prefer PDB-specific names to leave room for future generalized
cross-platform debug symbol features.

Finally, you'll need to implement this as a target property with
an optionally configuration-specific name.  Follow the pattern
already used for the RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY target property and
the corresponding CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY variable.