[cmake-developers] rc compiler on windows mingw

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Thu Sep 22 10:16:14 EDT 2011

On Thursday, September 22, 2011 07:38:59 am Brad King wrote:
> On 9/22/2011 9:32 AM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> > This is not the first time this has come up:
> >
> > http://forums.netbeans.org/post-115308.html
> >
> > CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not
> > found. Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
> >

> > Does the rc compiler not always ship with mingw? I think we added support
> > for it about 6 months ago. Thoughts on this?
>
> Note the location of MinGW in that report:
>
>    C:/Qt/qtcreator-2.3.0/mingw/bin/gcc.exe
>
> I bet that is some kind of custom environment created by QtCreator.
> Since Qt does its own thing for resources it probably doesn't need
> a Windows resource compiler.
>
> The resource compiler is obscure enough that it is a shame to make
> it a showstopper for building C code with CMake and MinGW.  Can we
> delay the error until we actually find a resource file that needs
> compiling?

I just tried this, using the cmake 2.8.6 RC3, with mingw that comes with
QtCreator and I had no problem.  windres.exe is in the same directory as
gcc.exe.

By the way, windres is still needed for Qt applications on Windows if one
wants to set an application icon that windows explorer will see.  Mac has its
own icns thing too.  The Qt resource compiler doesn't do anything for
resources used by the Desktop/OS.

--
Clinton Stimpson
Elemental Technologies, Inc