[cmake-developers] rc compiler on windows mingw

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Sep 22 09:52:52 EDT 2011

Hi,

That log looks odd to me. The guy is talking about NetBeans, yet the log
shows he is using MinGW from QtCreator 2.3.0?

QtCreator's MinGW distribution ships windres.exe

Nuwen ships windres.exe

TDM ships windres.exe

mingw-w64 ships windres.exe

I'd say the problem is he has several make.exe in path. One of them comes
from Qt Creator's MinGW, the other maybe comes from Strawberry Perl,
msysgit, etc. I have been in such an scenario.

It may also be that his MinGW installation does not contain windres.exe
(maybe because he is using the original mingw32 from mingw.org, which is
quite confusing to install and requires several manual steps), but him using
Qt Creator, I doubt it.

Naming may also be a problem: depending on what build you download from
mingw-w64, the RC compiler is called windres.exe or has a funny name such as
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres.exe (which CMake does not find, IIIRC).

In summary, I think this guy's system is a bit messed up.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> This is not the first time this has come up:
>
> http://forums.netbeans.org/**post-115308.html<http://forums.netbeans.org/post-115308.html>
>
> CMake Error: your RC compiler: "CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found.
>   Please set CMAKE_RC_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
>

> Does the rc compiler not always ship with mingw?   I think we added support
> for it about 6 months ago.  Thoughts on this?
>

> -Bill

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org