[cmake-developers] rc compiler on windows mingw

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Thu Sep 22 10:10:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>wrote:

> On 9/22/2011 9:38 AM, Brad King wrote:
>
>  Does the rc compiler not always ship with mingw? I think we added
>>> support for it about 6 months ago. Thoughts on this?
>>>

>> Note the location of MinGW in that report:
>>
>> C:/Qt/qtcreator-2.3.0/mingw/**bin/gcc.exe
>>
>> I bet that is some kind of custom environment created by QtCreator.
>> Since Qt does its own thing for resources it probably doesn't need
>> a Windows resource compiler.
>>
>> The resource compiler is obscure enough that it is a shame to make
>> it a showstopper for building C code with CMake and MinGW. Can we
>> delay the error until we actually find a resource file that needs
>> compiling?
>>
>> -Brad
>>
>>  Maybe we could do that...  Although I think it is an enable_language
> call.  We have never made that call dynamically at the first sign of a
> source file for that language.

While many people do not use .rc files, I think this would be wrong, as it
would only contribute to hiding the actual source of the problem.

You can test the messed-up scenario I explained in my former e-mail by
installing Qt Creator, Strawberry Perl and msysgit (installed with utilities
on path). Then make sure they appear in the path in this order:

1. Strawberry
2. msysgit (installed with utilities in path, to maximize havoc)
3. Qt Creator's MinGW bin dir

And have fun with CMake in MinGW Make files configuration :-)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org