[CMake] Failure to build CMake 3.11.0 on ARMv7 Ubuntu 16.04 due to std::size undefined

Andrew Brownsword andrew.e.brownsword at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:12:06 EDT 2018

I am attempting to build the latest release of CMake on my ARM-based Ubuntu system.  The bootstrap works fine, however the make fails with a bunch of error messages which all look like variations on this one:

In file included from /home/andrew/cmake/cmake-3.11.0/Source/cmCryptoHash.cxx:5:
/home/andrew/cmake/cmake-3.11.0/Source/cmAlgorithms.h:407:7: error: no member named 'size' in
      namespace 'std'; did you mean 'std::seed_seq::size'?
using std::size;
      ^~~~~~~~~
      std::seed_seq::size

Looking at the source the compiler is checking the __cplusplus macro to see if it is 2017-something, and it apparently passes this test when I make CMake.  If I just write a trivial program that prints this define, it outputs 201500L.  The compiler in use is the system gcc compiler, version 5.4.0.  I’ve tried it with the CLang 7.0 compiler I just built and get the same errors.

Any suggestions?