[CMake] Cygwin drive paths are killing me

J Decker d3ck0r at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 17:45:40 EDT 2014

> Of course someone like me find some upsides, like having a
> large number of unix tools available on windows, otherwise
> we will have no users nor any packagers

I guess over the years I've just ended up collecting small static versions
of 'unix tools' in my tools folder under unix....

cp, rm, mv, ls, mkdir.exe, echo.exe, touch, uname, make.exe,

and some less generally useful things, wget, ssh, cvs, mtn

but I think of the above cmake only needs make and other things are handled
with cmake -E commands
and then the compiler...  and  make (mingw32-make) comes with mingw anyhow;
so I'm pretty sure everything can build with MinGW (not MSYS), cmake, and
the android NDK on a clean system.  (and 30% faster than a cygwin
environment)

personally I can't stand how slow cygwin is; even things just built with
cygwin run 30-50% slower than any other compiler... and it's really not
worth it to have paths that don't really work.... and then redhat got ahold
of it and it just went downhill from there (yes that was a long time ago)

MinGW doesn't even need environment changes, just need the bin in PATH...