[CMake] What do Visual Studio users do so they can run/debug their programs when using 3rd party .dlls?

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 09:01:51 EDT 2014

Thanks everybody for the answers. I finally got it working more or
less to my satisfaction by writing it manually.

Mike, I grabbed some of your install stuff. Thanks for that.

J Decker, thanks for reminding me about CMAKE_CFG_INTDIR. I knew about
it, but it's easy to forget. (That's why I didn't want to have to
write this...too much detail work)

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin: The launcher stuff I've never heard of
before. I'm going to have to look at that in more detail. Thanks.

Klaim - Joël Lamotte, I pretty much agree with all the stuff you
listed. And I agree the "install" step doesn't make a lot of sense,
particularly when you need to launch/run via the Visual Studio
debugger. Unfortunately, I can't use Python, so I had to write it in
CMake. I agree the installer is useful for building a package, but I
see these two things as different. Additionally, the installer stuff
is becoming increasingly dated as everything is moving towards
iOS-like app stores that have very different packaging semantics.

I'm building a fairly elaborate system using CMake targeting
developers, not end consumers of apps. However, these are not
traditional native code developers and thus I'm trying to make the
CMake user experience much friendlier. I think I should do a
post-mortem once I'm done because a lot of areas like this I think can
be improved.

Thanks,
Eric