[CMake] struggling with CPack building RPMs

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:10:28 EST 2012

2012/12/20 Martin Koller <martin.koller at etm.at>:
> The docs for COMPONENT base cpack with RPM is not clear to me, therefore a principle question:
>
> Is it possible to generate multiple rpm packages, each having its specific name, description, etc.
> out of one project ?

No. At least not ... yet.
There is a bug report pending for that:
and this one too:

> I could not find a way to define e.g. the summary or description per component in a package.
> E.g. I find CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_SUMMARY but I'm missing a
> CPACK_RPM_<component>_PACKAGE_SUMMARY version of it.
>
> It is unclear to me when and where to set the different cpack variables.

For the one which exists (and for any CPack generator) one should defined
CPACK_xxx vars before include(CPack) or inside CPACK_PROJECT_CONFIG_FILE
if one uses it.
see:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#Overall_usage_.28common_to_all_generators.29

> Is there somewhere a (real-world) multi rpm example ?

There is the multi-component inside CMake source but it is obviously
not enough for RPM (or DEB).

> The trivial single package rpm descriptions are useless for this...

Yes you are right.
Holidays are coming may be I'll get a chance to use some spare time
to tackle with the ever growing pile of requests for CPack[RPM]:

 http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view_all_bug_page.php

and set Category to CPack and refresh...

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org