[CMake] Global flags for creating static libraries

Evan Pipho hiwrac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:05:19 EST 2012

I am looking for a way to set global flags for the librarian when creating
static libraries, similar to CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS
or CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS.  This would facilitate things like using 3rd
party libraries that already use cmake without having to modify their
CMakeLists.txt to set these flags.

I found http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10094 which mentions
using CMAKE_STATIC_LINKER_FLAGS as well as this fairly old thread
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-October/032563.html also
mentioning this.

Has there been any progress on this feature?
If not, does a feature that exposes a CMAKE_STATIC_LINKER_FLAGS (and
CMAKE_STATIC_LINKER_FLAGS_<TARGET>) which are then passed to the librarian
(ar, lib.exe etx) make sense?  I think this would be quite useful,
especially for those of us that use cmake with visual studio.

I would like to get the lists input, and if it is positive I would be
interested in creating a patch to add this functionality.

Thanks