[CMake] How do you go about building the cmake-gui from source in 2.8.4?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri May 13 16:42:45 EDT 2011

> Yeah, I figured that part out indirectly.
>
> I had to install the QT4 SDK to get the necessary bits, but rcc.exe (Windows
> XP, desktop component of QT) fails for no obvious reason.

Did you build that from scratch using Visual Studio 2005 and not any
other compiler or version?

> Here is what I posted on the QT installation/deployment forum about the
> problem:
>
> I’m trying to rebuild CMake-gui.

Are you trying to modify it for some reason? I also do not see the
need to rebuild it.

> I’ve gotten to the point where I downloaded
> and installed the QT4 SDK, configured CMake for VS 2005 and fired up the
> build, which failed when trying to run rcc.exe. When I try to run RCC.EXE
> directly from the command prompt, I get:
>
> The system cannot execute the specified program.
>
> When I try it from cygwin’s command prompt, I get:

You should not mix cygwin building and visual studio building. What
are you doing here?

> Permission Denied
>
> Firing up Dependency Walker, I get an error when opening rcc.exe:
>
> The side-by-side configuration information for
> “…desktop\qt\4.7.3\msvc2005\bin\RCC.EXE” contains errors. This application
> has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.
> Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

This usually means you do not have the correct run times installed.
Did you download the Visual Studio 2008 binary release. That will not
work with Visual Studio 2005. You need to build Qt for your compiler.

> Which I tried with no joy.
>
> There are a couple of delay loaded dlls that aren’t present, IESHIMS and
> WER, but these appear to be more or less specific to Vista and don’t apply
> to XP (which is what I’m running on).
>
> So how do I get around this? Is this an SDK problem? or something really
> obscure in Windoze? I’m not primarily a Windows person so I’m not 100% on
> all the ins and outs here, but I would think that the RCC.EXE as installed
> by the QT4 SDK installer should at least start on XP.
>
> Any and all hints will be appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Dick Munroe
>
> Any clues?
>
> On 5/13/11 5:45 AM, cmake-request at cmake.org wrote:
>>
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 16:43:04 -0600
>> From: "clinton at elemtech.com  "<clinton at elemtech.com>
>> Subject: Re: [CMake] How do you go about building the cmake-gui from
>>        source in       2.8.4?
>> To:cmake at cmake.org
>>
>> It is under Source/QtDialog and the cmake option has QtDialog in its name.
>>
>> Clint

John M. Drescher