[CMake] Express Edition

Kelly Thompson kgt at lanl.gov
Wed May 11 11:43:47 EDT 2011

FYI - I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express and this variable is not
set by CMake for my project (I'm using the visual studio 10 generator).

Looking at Windows-cl.cmake for CMake-2.8.4, it appears that
CMAKE_USING_VC_FREE_TOOLS is only set when using the NMake Makefiles
generator.  If I copy the block of code that tests if this is a free
compiler from Microsoft to my own CMakeLists, it correctly identifies my
compiler and sets CMAKE_USING_VC_FREE_TOOLS to 1.

My tests are not exhaustive as I don't have the Pro version of VS2010 to
test against.  But this may be a bug in the compiler detection routines.  It
would appear that the check for CMAKE_USING_VC_FREE_TOOLS should be run for
both the NMake Makefiles and the Visual Studio Project generators.   Please
clarify if I am wrong in this assumption.

-kt

Of