[CMake] CMake 2.8.5-rc3 ready for testing!

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Jun 28 08:59:06 EDT 2011

On 6/27/2011 11:41 AM, David Cole wrote:

> Changes in CMake 2.8.5-rc3 (since 2.8.5-rc2)
> Bill Hoffman (4):
>        Use devenv instead of msbuild for vs2010.
>        Revert "With very long file names, VS 2010 was unable to compile files."
>        Use relative paths for custom command inputs.
>        Look for VCExpress as a possible build tool as well as devenv.

Several people have asked me off the list why this change was made.  So,
I am going to answer on the list.  This is in preparation for support of
intel fortran and VS2010.  The intel folks did not actually convert the
format of the .vfproj files.  They are still using the vs9 format not
the new vs10/msbuild xml files. As a result you can not use msbuild to
build a vs10 project that contains any fortran, and you have to use
devenv.  At the start of the v10 work, I had to switch to msbuild
because devenv used to crash on many of the cmake tests.  It does not do
that anymore.  Also, because of the way things work it would be very
difficult to use msbuild for c/c++ and devenv for fortran.  Since all
the tests are working, I don't think it should cause any issues.  BTW, I
am still working on the actual fortran support... :)

-Bill